Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 04:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Interested in joining the WebsiteBaker team?
For more Information read here or on our new website.
177463 Posts in 24325 Topics by 6877 Members
Latest Member: chickenjoe
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: gallery for text  (Read 1611 times)
Gullytrotter

« on: January 23, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »

Greetings, peeps!

This is something a little wierd, I know. I want to display a list of names (firms) and when the surfer clicks on one of these names, I want a popup to open and show the firm's address telephone number etc. The ideal way for this to look is something like the splash-gallery on www.gimp.org:
http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/stable.html

Of course, I don't want to create dozens of pictures with only text in them. That would be pretty lame. rolleyes Is there an applet out there that can do something similar but with text?

Regards,
Chris
marathoner

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »

You would simply do the same thing that they do...use some javascript to open a window with your information.

An alternative might be to use some javascript to show or hide information by toggling the CSS display property instead of opening a window. I've done this on a couple of different sites. Below is an example. Let me know if that would work for you.
http://www.mohican100.org/pages/faq.php
Gullytrotter

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

Um, I did actually realize that it was javascript in use by the gimp people. tongue I was wondering more if there is something more or less finished and ready to use for that, like a plugin for WB. Or at least something that comes with a sort of editor. Doing all of that stuff "on foot" would be a pain and too complex to manage. Apart from that, there are two other people who have to maintain the website and these too don't even know what javascript is. smiley So I need something with a front-end.

What you gave as an example is a good idea but won't work for me because of the layout. There will be something like 50 or so links on a page and letting them open like that would lengthen the page far too much. So I would actually prefer some sort of popup.

Regards,
Chris
marathoner

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

Once you figure out what javascript fits your needs, you could simply modify News Anywhere so that it applies the needed coding to each item so that your users don't need to know anything about JS. In fact, I had the same need (make it fool proof for the users) and created a SMF forum that they enter the FAQs. I then grab the SMF messages and apply the coding to tag each entry for the JS.
marathoner

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »

@Gulleytrotter

What about a script like the one below? I tested it out and it seems pretty easy to implement and seems pretty configurable:
http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/memo/index.html
Gullytrotter

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »

@Gulleytrotter

I'll take that without the 'e'. tongue But who else could you mean? Sofar there are only the two of us in this thread. grin

What about a script like the one below? I tested it out and it seems pretty easy to implement and seems pretty configurable:
http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/memo/index.html

Yeah, that is pretty much exactly what I need! Thanks for the link (which was bookmarked promptly)!

If you (or anyone else) now had a link to some piece of documentation that gives me a few hints on how to integrate this script into a WB site, I would be really happy. I would need the script to work on several pages. Is there some way to allow others to edit the stuff without having to go through the code?

Regards,
Chris
ruebenwurzel
WebsiteBaker Org e.V.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

Hello,

download our hello world modul from the addons page. This is an example modul with a lot of description in the files wich show you what the files does and where and how to integrate external scripts to make a working WB modul.

Matthias
marathoner

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »

I just put together a quick test page using the memo.js script by using News Anywhere. Take a look to see what you think (yes, I know one or two of the items don't display the pop-up but that's due to my existing test data that has a single quote mark in it)
http://www.secondsoletotalsports.com/pages/registeredpage/fitness-tips-with-popup.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: