Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 03:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Interested in joining the WebsiteBaker team?
For more Information read here or on our new website.
181486 Posts in 24749 Topics by 5920 Members
Latest Member: yrwbotxzvt
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "This Account Has Been Suspended". What the?  (Read 22615 times)
Ryan

« on: October 06, 2005, 08:04:52 AM »

Hey guys,

I am sure almost all of you visited www.websitebaker.or g between Sunday and Tuesday, where you would have read:
"This Account Has Been Suspended".

The WB account had been suspended on the server by the server admin (Jim) because the dedicated server we were on was crashing and he thought it was our account that was doing it.
Aparently there was an open proxy installed on the system which eventually became publicly-listed, and our server was taken advantage of.

The way I managed to get WB onto a dedicated server was by going halves with Jim - he basically put a few of his larger clients on the server to help pay for it, without putting so many clients as to overload it.
The reason why our account was suspended was to protect the other accounts - fair enough if you understand that Jim needed his clients to have uptime.

Well, anyways, the good news is, I have found space on my dad's company dedicated-server, hosted here down-under, so that you guys can access most of the WB stuff.

Although, the bad news is we can't afford to keep it here for long, not only because of financial problems, but also because we can't get Subversion or Trac installed, meaning development of WB cannot properly continue until we move again.
So, to try and solve this problem, I am pushing foward my schedule for registering Open Source Bakery as non-profit, and then will approach a few of the local hosts for free hosting.

If you would like to host, that is great - however, after the bad experience I had with Jim (having to wait 5 days to get the forum fixed because our timezones never match), I am only going to use Australian-based hosting so that I can fix any problems right away (not that there should be any wink).
However, if you do have hosting in another country, please stay tuned because I will be asking for people to become mirrors for the FRS, which has been taken down until I get mirrors set-up.

I would like to deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused to anyone, and hope for a better, more stable future! cool

Website Baker Project Founder
www.websitebaker.or g

To contact me via email, visit:
www.ryandjurovich.c om
Woudloper
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:36:44 AM »

The WB account had been suspended on the server by the server admin (Jim) because the dedicated server we were on was crashing and he thought it was our account that was doing it.
Aparently there was an open proxy installed on the system which eventually became publicly-listed, and our server was taken advantage of.

I think it was a wise decision of the server admin to put your account in the suspended mode, although from the wb community perspective it was a pitty that this should happen.

Well, anyways, the good news is, I have found space on my dad's company dedicated-server, hosted here down-under, so that you guys can access most of the WB stuff.

Although, the bad news is we can't afford to keep it here for long, not only because of financial problems, but also because we can't get Subversion or Trac installed, meaning development of WB cannot properly continue until we move again.

Does this mean we can experience an outage in the near future of will the future step go much more planned and with less outage of the server/forum/ etc.?

Will this also delay the 2.6.0. release of 'websitebaker' and what has happened with the bugs that has been registered on the hosting provider? The last count was that you have 37 or 38 issues...
Ryan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 08:48:02 AM »

Now that the hosting is in my full control, and soon to be in full control of OSB, it will mean we won't have to worry about hosting being pulled on us without warning.
Downtime should not occur at all, except for short durations of server switches and when DNS changes occur.
However, I will always make sure to give as adequate notice as possible, and will always supply an alternate domain for those with slow DNS caches.
If you can not access the website, you still can access me on IRC (#WebsiteBaker at irc.freequest.net) - which I was accessable for at least 1 hour of each day of the downtime we had.

As far as 2.6.0 - we really can't continue development until I figure out a solution for Trac.
I would really like to do something to get it out the door, but as it stands, I am not sure of a solution.
I do have a private system set-up locally, so I might allow Stefan and a few others some access to it, but I am not sure if this is possible yet.

As for WB3, it has been affected greatly - I now have to look at delaying it until early 2006. sad

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
pcwacht
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »

Glad to see WB is on the air again...

Since I really believe in WB and like it a lot I am more then willing to set up some backup places and mirrors if you want me to. I am admin of several co-located servers, wich are in the Netherlands.

John
Woudloper
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 01:17:29 PM »

I just noticed that all the attachments no longer work which are uploaded after you switched from server. Should all the people re-upload the attachments or will the attachments become available again?
Ryan

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »

@Woudloper: thanks - I overlooked them but all are now being uploaded and will be available shortly. cheesy

@pcwacht: thanks for the offer. I will be setting up a "mirror program" in the next few days to allow people to join as a WB mirror. Stay tuned. wink

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
i2Paq

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »

Well, that was a sad suprise comming back from a nice holiday to find opensourcebakery down  cry

Lucky that Jurgen replyd quickly to my e-mail explaining where to look  wink

If needed I can provide space with my hosting provider TransIP if needed (they are hosting opensourcebakery.nl).
But please let me know a.s.a.p because I will be in the hospital next week.

Good to be back!  cheesy

Opensource is my life, but then elsewhere.
Ryan

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 10:39:26 PM »

@i2Paq: same message as I sent to John: thanks for the offer. I will be setting up a "mirror program" in the next few days to allow people to join as a WB mirror. Stay tuned. wink
However, it could be late next week - I am unsure when I will set things up sad

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
Argos

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:53:45 PM »

Good to see things running again!
I just sent you some bucks by the way, to help relief the stress wink

Jurgen Nijhuis
Argos Media
Heiloo, The Netherlands
Showcase (mostly WB): http://www.argosmedia.nl/pages/actueel/portfolio.php
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't request personal support, use the forums!
babsy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 08:48:55 AM »

Hi there

Good to see website baker up and running again!

Is it possible for me to download the "getting started file and the installation guide)... anywhere
or could someone mail it to me smiley

Ryan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 10:07:49 AM »

@babsy: the project page should be up in the next day or so wink

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
babsy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 11:25:40 AM »

Hi

Thats sound good.... because i just starting a new projekt! but i can´t remember how the install goes!

so i´ll wait a bit... thanks for your answer grin
Ryan

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 11:37:22 AM »

Good news - I am working on it all right now, and hopefully should have things up by early tomorrow night (i.e. about 21-22 hours from now). cool

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
Ryan

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 09:14:09 AM »

Hmm, i just got home 2 hours later than expected, so it might take another couple of hours.
UPDATE: I can't get hold of the server admin, so until then, no go. Hopefully we get this thing together by tonight.
UPDATE: Things look like they are nearlly there! Will post a link soon...
Sorry for the delays guys
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:06:04 PM by Ryan » Logged

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
babsy

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 01:12:48 PM »

hi...

and thanks for the update!  grin

good to know, it´s going the right way!
Ryan

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »

UPDATE: I am pleased to announce that the Trac/SVN/project repositories are now up! grin

All URL's should now be changed from http://websitebaker.org/projects/PROJECT_NAME to http://projects.websitebaker.org/PROJECT_NAME
However, old URL's will still work (you will be presented with the new locaiton though).

I still need to do a little work on the subversion repository, which means hopefully within 24 hours Stefan, John and I should be able to work on any 2.6 bugs.
On the 2.6 note - if you have found any un-reported bugs - go ahead and report now wink

I would like to thank forum "ztar" for supplying the hosting. More thanks to come. cool

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
Ryan

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 02:06:55 PM »

UPDATE: I am now 100% sure that both Trac and Subversion are working perfectly OK.
For svn access, please use e.g. http://svn.websitebaker.org/websitebaker2
UPDATE: anonymous svn access isn't working atm - I will tackle it tomorrow.
cool
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:10:58 PM by Ryan » Logged

www.websitebaker.or g

www.ryandjurovich.c om
i2Paq

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »

Ryan, good to see that things fall into place  cheesy

Opensource is my life, but then elsewhere.
kibmcz

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 03:54:13 PM »

UPDATE: I am now 100% sure that both Trac and Subversion are working perfectly OK.
For svn access, please use e.g. http://svn.websitebaker.org/websitebaker2
UPDATE: anonymous svn access isn't working atm - I will tackle it tomorrow.
cool

Now at least 2.6 development can continue cool
pcwacht
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 05:12:55 PM »

*puts on partyhat and opens case of beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: